04 January, 2011

Things I Didn't Learn in Kindergarten

Too often we focus on what went wrong, instead of what went right--or what good things came out of the perceived "wrong" things. For my first post of 2011, I'm going to take stock of the past year and share just some of the many, many things I learned. Maybe you'll learn something, too...or at least get a chuckle or two. :)

1) I can be pretty lazy about some things, I admit that. But I am not lazy about taking the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, or choosing to open my own doors (when available) instead of going through the automatic doors.

2) Opening my own doors instead of waiting for them to open for me creates a whole new world of opportunity.

3) The Xbox Kinect is amazing. Specifically, the Your Shape Fitness video. It friggin' rawks! I'm now working out at least 3 times a week, and finish myworkouts with a Zen Class (tai chi/yoga). My goal was to start working out 3-4 times a week, and go up to 4-5. I've been doing this for about a month now and so far, so good. This program really makes things easy, but it still works you HARD!

4) My baby girl Ella (the Jack Russell Terrier) is chubby! We've put her on a diet and will start going for more walks, which will also help out Mummy.

[caption id="attachment_360" align="aligncenter" width="180" caption="She poses just like her Mummy, too. (I'm serious.)"]
[/caption]



5)  I've learned that I can't manage time...but I can manage myself.

6) If you want something done, you really do have to do it yourself. I don't care what it is--websites, meeting people, thank-you cards, dinner, gigs, a short-film-to-be-shot-in-Ireland-Summer-2011-and-hopefully-star-me-with-my-favourite-actor...just do it yourself!

7) Being in an international movie doesn't necessarily open more doors. But it does teach a lot of lessons!

8 ) I love premieres and red carpet events, whether I'm on the carpet or not!


9) Go to every event you can--you never know who you're going to meet.




[caption id="attachment_336" align="aligncenter" width="180" caption="That's me with Danny Freaking Boyle!!!!!!!! (And bad lighting.)"][/caption]

10) Having one Survival Job on top of acting/singing/auditioning/writing/producing/etc. is hard. Having three is ridiculous. And unfortunately necessary right now.

11) Some people have expressed admiration for what I'm doing--going after what I really want in life. Some people think I'm a fool. Some people think I'm successful...still others think I'm a big fat failure. No matter what I do, I can't please everyone. I've got to just keep doing what I think is best for me.

12) Being married to me can't be easy! But my fantastic husband loves me the way I am...without running out the door screaming. Well, not often, anyway. ;)

13) I really don't like the fact that people from Jersey Shore make way more money than I do.

14) If I'm having a bad day, this site makes things a whole heckuva lot better. Also this site. And this one!

15) I have pretty good ideas. I need to follow through with them a lot better than I have been.

16) "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home." ~ Twyla Tharp

17) "Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

18) Life is too short. Make it count, and stop trying to do what you think other people think you should do. One of my good friends recently found out she has leukemia and is going through wicked rounds of chemo. Here are her words of wisdom: "Celebrate life! It's easy to forget how precious it is, but that's what these life-changing moments are for and I hope and pray that none of you have to go through one to realize that. Here's to a happy healthy 2011. Now let's all celebrate each day and not sweat the small things :-)"

18) "Experience is the teacher of all things." ~Julius Caesar

19) "When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal, you do not change your decision to get there." ~Zig Ziglar

20) Nobody wants to see you try. They want to see you DO. "Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." ~ Yoda.


21) People will not read long blogs.

I wish you peace, prosperity, contentment, joy in all things for the coming year!


Thank you for reading...and thank you, as always, for your support. :)

2 comments:

  1. GREAT post Christa! You've clearly spent some great time looking back at an amazing year. 2011 is going to be great for you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ben! I enjoy keeping track of what you're up to, as well--it's nice to have someone who understands what we go through, huh? Here's to Twenty-Eleven!

    ReplyDelete